Great British Cuisine to make even Nana proud
Hearty, simple, and delicious – that’s what we love about English cuisine. This is food that’ll take you back to your Nan’s house in the country. No pretenses, just easy, satisfying food that people of all culinary skill levels can make from scratch.
Shepherd’s pie – perfect for a cold winter evening.
1 large onion
2 tbsp olive oil
500g minced lamb
1 tbsp plain flour
2 bay leaves
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
450ml lamb stock
salt and pepper
1) Heat the dripping in a saucepan and add the chopped onion. Heat for 5 minutes.
2) Heat olive oil and fry the mince in a separate pan. Stir until brown.
3) Stir the onions and gradually add flower to thicken. Add thyme and bay leaves. Stir.
4) Add chopped tomatoes, stock and Worcestershire sauce.
5) Add mince and pour remaining stock mixture into pan containing sauce.
6) Allow mixture to boil, add salt and pepper and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
7) Preheat oven to 200C Gas mark 6.
8) Boil potatoes until tender, Drain. Add Milk, egg yolk and butter. Mash until smooth.
9) Pour meat into an ovenproof dish and evenly spread mash on top. Place dish into the oven and cook until golden brown.
Don’t forget to head over to our page on cooking courses if you’re looking to expand your cooking knowledge and improve your skills. Bring the whole family, for a wonderful bonding experience that will surely warm your heart – and your belly!