Take a journey through the Islands with our tantalising recipes as colourful as Caribbean culture itself. Be transported into the sun and sea in a few simple steps.
This recipe we have for you includes the staple Caribbean ingredient of Yam. However this can be modified – you can use potato or sweet potato if you prefer. We of course recommend that you try yam, to make the dish as authentic as possible.
1 Yam 3-4 lbs
1 cup salted cod (prepared)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoon olive oil
4 sprigs thyme
10 cherry tomatoes (or 1 large)
1 scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the soft boiling white yam and cut into large pieces.
- Place into water and bring to a boil. Add ½ tsp of salt to the water.
- Cook until yam is tender. Poke with knife – if it pokes through with no effort, they are cooked. Drain and put to one side.
- Chop onions, tomatoes, peppers, scallions, garlic, parsley and thyme
- Heat olive oil on a medium heat and add salted cod to the pan. Lower heat and cook or 3-5 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and cook on low for 3 minutes. Turn up heat and add other ingredients. Leave to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add cooked yam pieces and mix until coated.
For more advanced cooking tips or to if you are looking to improve your skills, head over to our page on cooking courses that are catered for you.