Baking is one of the most rewarding things you can do in the kitchen – apart from eating, of course! There are a multitude of treats you can learn to bake, and they are often mess-free while requiring the same staple ingredients you will almost always have in your kitchen. Baked goods are among the most customisable things that you can cook; they allow a lot of leeway in terms of what you like – whether you’re a chocolate or a caramel person. If you want to learn more about baking, head over to our page on the affordable cooking courses we offer.
The simplest Lemon Meringue Pie
- 75g of butter
- 25g of sugar
- 175g of digestives
- 3 eggs
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tin of condensed milk
- 2 large lemons
- Preheat oven to 190C gas mark 5
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, remove pan from heat and add sugar and crushed digestives.
- Press mixture into a round tart dish and coat the base with an even layer. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolk, lemon juice and zest. Pour condensed milk into the bowl and stir.
- Pour the mixture into the dish containing the crushed biscuits.
- Place egg whites into a large bowl and whisk (we recommend you use an electric whisk at full speed). While whisking, add caster sugar.
- Scoop the meringue out of the bowl and place over the base.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the meringue is slightly golden.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to firm
- Dig in!